Tuesday, April 18, 2023

WHAT is that BUG in my AQUARIUM


January 28th, 2023 
I spotted a tiny bug in my paludarium. 



This bug is about 5 mm long. 

And it is an aquatic bug! 

The bug has 3 pairs of legs and 2 antennas. 

The bug seems to be covered by some kind of scales or... it could be growing wings... it's hard to see. 
It's very shiny! 

I would get a better look on the bug if I pull it out, but there is a danger of hurting the bug in the process.
 My fish seems to be interested in the bug too. 
And there are 3 red-spotted newts on look out all the time for everything testy.

 It makes me wonder how this tiny bug managed to survive in the tank with so many predators.

The bug most certainly got in the tank with plants I picked in the lakes when I was looking for newts. 

It could be from Staten Island or from upstate New York.
 And the last deposit of wild plants I made 4 months ago, when I brought the newts.

 Plants always come with critters and eggs and bacteria. 
Usually I keep wild samples in separate tanks for observations - a couple weeks quarantine. 
Though, with newts it was different. 
I want the tank with wild bacteria and critters from the same pond where I got newts. 
It should make my wild caught newts feel more like being at home. 

And now I am stuck with discovering bugs - which is hard to observe in this big tank :) 


Look how fast it runs! 
I think this tiny shiny runner feeds on algae... 
Aha! The bug is certainly aware of the danger hanging out in open spots. 

It runs from one hiding spot to another.

 It is the only way to survive among so many hungry predators. 

And run again... don't let the fish catch you! 

I observe this bug only one time while it runs along the front wall of the tank for about 10 mins. 

I took some pictures and tried to identify the bug using the iNaturalist app as I usually do.
 Unfortunately, I got no identification on this bug. 


Perhaps you can help me to identify the bug. 

I want to know what to expect. 
How big it could grow, would it fly or is it dangerous to my pets. 

Here, take a closer look at the macro shot of the bug. 

It is a very pretty, tiny and shiny aquatic bug! 



Have fun and happy bugs :)



No comments:

Post a Comment