Tuesday, August 1, 2023

How to make the Best Fish Food for FREE


I've been talking about the green power of algae and plants in aquariums for years...
Just like the Wall Street moguls talk about the green power of dollars in the world economy.


Buy Scuds locally on Craigslist: 
 or buy Scuds on Amazon (paid link):

Green rules the world.

Green is the best.
And green is free!

I've been feeding green to my aquatic pets and it cost me nothing.

The best fish food for free!!

Here it goes.




Crash it for making fish food flakes.

No tools or bills to pay for making it.

It is free food - check it out!

My fish love it :)



Snails, shrimp, and all tiny creatures feed on it too.

Here you can see scuds Gammarus devouring it.

I culture scuds for feeding my fish and Eastern newts.

Scuds are the best live fish food.

And I feed scuds with the same green that my fish feed on!
That's how I convert green into meat for my fish - absolutely for free :)



Fish and newts go after scuds on the sight.



Some green gets eaten clean - and other greens come with leftovers.


This is the remains of a cherry leaf - for an example.
Scuds and snails eat only soft parts of cherry leaves.


I prefer to feed my critters and pets with greens that get eaten clean without leaving any leftovers.


For this purpose, lettuce is one of the best among greens found in my kitchen supplies.



Here are my greens from last year's supplies.


First I cut the leaves to a desirable size.

Remove the thick stem from all the leaves.

Place each leaf on a separate page of a discarded book.








It takes a week or two to air dry leaves in the book at normal room temperature.

I prepare enough dry leaves for feeding for one season only.
Keep leaves stored right in the books on the same shelf with aquariums.






Here you can see how eagerly scuds chew lettuce.
Snails and shrimp love lettuce too.
I feed lettuce mostly during the Winter season.





Dandelions are one of the first edible greens that I pick through all warm seasons.

Dandelions are one of the mostly available weeds for picking everywhere.




You may even get paid for picking dandelions from your neighbors backyard!
And you get free food for your aquariums :)



The milky sticky liquid coming from damaged parts of dandelion leaves is latex.
It can be used for treating skin infections.


The liquid is sticky.
It may glue dandelion leaves to the paper.



So again, the book will get destroyed.

Scuds Gammarus love dried dandelions!


Mulberry trees get green as Summer rolls over.
Early Summer is the best time for harvesting green-fresh tender mulberry leaves.



At Summer time, I stock up on mulberry leaves to last through the Winter.

Trim off hard stems from the leaves.



Basically, I count one small size mulberry leaf per feeding.

A couple hundred pages book can hold food supplies for one aquarium feeding all year long.

Every season I try some other leaves to check what my pets love the best.
So far, the dried green mulberry leaves seem to be the best.


Leaves are free to harvest and cost nothing to air dry them.



I mix crushed dried leaves with other homemade fish food flakes for my fish enjoyment.




I feed my fish every other day.





In addition to the homemade fish food flakes, my fish gets live food at least once a week.
And I farm live food feeding all those critters with the same dry green leaves.






Scuds are the best live food for all kinds of aquarium fish and pets.



Leaves for feeding scuds and your fish are available everywhere.

Free to get, simple to make and the best fish food. Period.
Have fun and happy aquariums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment