Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Growing Chinese Money Plant in Water


August 12th, 2019
I got a small cutting of a Chinese Money plant, also known as Pilea peperomioides or pancake plant among other names.



The stem is about 2 cm long.
There are four leaves.

I put the stem inside a plastic straw.

 It all goes in a small plastic cup.

 Secure the straw with gravel.

 Add dechlorinated water.

Put the plant on a windowsill.

I check the plant one week later on July 18th.
 Roots start growing!

Add dechlorinated water as needed to keep the roots in the water.

December 12th
It is 4 months since I started growing this cutting.

Let's pull the plant out of this tubing.
The smallest leaf wilted - only 3 larger leaves remain.
 Oops...I just broke the stem of one of the leaves.
So, now there are 2 leaves left.

The roots grew about 2 cm long.

Okay.
 Let's move the plant into a plastic cup aquarium garden with seed shrimp and snails.

Only roots of the plant stay in the water.


Six weeks later, January 24th 2020.

There are 4 new leaves grow.
Which makes total of 6 leaves.

And the roots have grown - WOW!

I am moving this plant temporarily into a larger, 3 liter jar aquarium garden with guppies.
I think this size plant needs a smaller tank.
 During the next week or so I will make a 1 liter aquarium garden for this plant.

The succulent looks nice here.

About 3 months later on April 4th.
I remove 2 wilted leaves.

Another 6 weeks went by and a new leaf grows.

 June 25th.
And another new leaf grows.


On June 28th, I decide to move this plant into a dedicated aquarium garden with no other land plants on top.
Also, there will only be snails in this aquarium.
Fish and scuds seem to like the roots of the Chinese Money plant to snack on as you may notice those roots get shorter.


August 2020
 This Chinese Money plant has been growing with its roots in the water of my aquarium gardens for over a year now.

 Simple to care for and it looks nice.
Have fun and happy aquarium gardens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment