Tuesday, July 13, 2021

How to Rainproof a Backpack


Rain or snow I have to go. 


You can buy disposable plastic bags on Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3B0NM0U or buy a waterproof cover for backpack :


And I need to keep my backpack dry in any weather. 

That's one of the reasons I keep a roll of plastic bags in my backpack. 



I rainproof the backpack with a disposable plastic bag. 

Use a clear plastic bag large enough to fit the backpack in it. 
Put the backpack into the plastic bag. 

Only the back side of the backpack with straps remains exposed.
 All other sides of the backpack should be covered by the plastic bag. 

Tie the plastic bag around the top end of the straps.

 I make a simple overhand double knot. 

And I tie the bag around each strap. 
Though, it should be enough to tie it even around one of the straps. 




Adjust the length of the straps for a better fit.
 That's it. 

The open part of the plastic bag is covered by my back. 


 There is one more thing to do before jumping under the rain.

Attach a red flashlight to the backpack.

 I place the flashlight under the plastic bag. 

That is the only reason I use clear plastic bags. 

A blinking flashlight makes you more noticeable in low visibility. 
Safety first! 


Now let's put the backpack on. 




And under the rain I go... 

Walk, run, or bike. 



I commute 5 miles one way all year around, in any weather, keeping my backpack dry in this way. 

It takes me anywhere from 30 minutes up to one hour of running in the rain.


 And the backpack stays dry. 
So, this waterproofing really works for the backpack. 

At the final destination, I remove the plastic bag. 
It is disposable... 

Turn off the flashlight. 

And look! the backpack is dry as it should be. 


One more thing to mention about this.
 Inside of my backpack, I keep electronics and a set of dry clothes inside another plastic bag.



So as I commute all year around in the rain or sun, I always change into dry clean clothes. 

Change your clothes as you need to after commuting.

 Put everything wet in the plastic bag to get it to the laundry. 

And...that's it!



 Have fun and stay dry where you can :)

No comments:

Post a Comment